To change the name on your vehicle registration, you’ll need to complete a few steps and fill out several forms. Before you can inform the Virginia DMV of your name change, you’ll have to change your name with the Social Security Administration. This must be completed first so that your Social Security information matches when you file your name change with the DMV. Changing your name with the SSA will give you an updated Social Security card; your new name will be printed, but your Social Security number will remain the same.
Updating Personal Identification
After you change your name with the SSA, you’ll be required to change the name on your Virginia driver’s license before you can change the name on your vehicle records. Name changes must be filed at your local DMV office in person. Currently, there is no option to file your name change online or through the mail.
Bring the following documentation to the office:
- A complete Driver’s License Application
- Documents proving your name change (a divorce decree, a marriage certificate, or a court order)
- Your current driver’s license
- If you don’t have your driver’s license, an alternate proof of identity such as your passport or military I.D.
After your records have been updated with the Virginia DMV, you’ll have to file a request for a replacement driver’s license.
How to Change Your Vehicle Registration Name
After you’ve received your replacement driver’s license, you can update your name on your vehicle title and registration. You’ll have to file an application for a replacement registration card and a replacement title certificate. You’ll have to replace your registration card and title in person. Though the state of Virginia allows residents to apply for a duplicate registration online, this option is only available when the registration information hasn’t changed.
To replace your registration in person, bring the following documentation to meet the vehicle registration requirements:
- A completed Vehicle Registration Application with all the personal information and vehicle information fields filled out
- Payment to cover the $2 registration replacement fee
- Personal identification such as your driver’s license or passport
You should bring the driver’s license which has been updated with your new name.
How to Change Your Vehicle Title Name
You can complete the application for a replacement vehicle title at the same time as the registration replacement application. You’ll need to bring the following documentation to your local DMV office:
- A complete Application for Replacement and Substitute Titles
- Proof of your name change such as your updated driver’s license, marriage certificate, or divorce decree
- Your vehicle’s current certificate of title
- Payment to cover the $10 fee
Name Change Fees for Updated Vehicle Registration and Title
When you change your name with the DMV and update your registration documents, you can expect to pay the following fees:
- $20 for the replacement driver’s license
- $2 for the registration card
- $10 for the certificate of title
The Virginia DMV accepts the following forms of payment:
- Money orders
- Discover cards
- American Express
No other credit or debit cards have been approved. If you aren’t sure whether your payment method is valid, contact your local DMV office before you file your paperwork to double check.
All forms can be downloaded and printed at the DMV’s website.